Practicum Site!

I am been posted to Residence @ St George, a girl hostel for aged between 16 to 21. To be frank, I am glad and happy to have my practicum done in this place.

I am glad that the Head of the Hostel gave me a chance to do some planning and developing programs for the girls who are living in the hostel. Although I am not paid (yes, I even have to pay $1000 for this practicum), but I seriously enjoyed every minute of work there. When I first joined PA last year, I didnt have that feeling of enjoyment, but rather, I have the feeling of politics in office, everything has to be done carefully. In this residence, I seriously feel that I am welcome by the staff. One best thing about have few staff (a total of 5) is that everything can be done through communicating to each other. The office is just probably the size of 2 to 3 living rooms, even if you whisper, you can still actually hear each other. Alot of things are done hands on and everyone is given the freedom to decide what solutions or ideas are best for the girls and organisation.

I feel accomplished and needed. I mean, in every workplace you go, you would want to feel that you are needed, else what are the other motivation to go to work other than money and environment? To be frank, in this residence, if I were to work there, I will get the environment and the sense of accomplishment, but not the money. Its a sad thing that VWO has its limit to how much they can pay and how much they are able to get granted.

Starting from next week, there will be new residents coming in, I will be given a chance to do groupwork with them, and then the counselling session as well. Hopefully I dont flunk or mess up the interviews. Its stressful to know that  we will be monitored throughout the whole session. And after working there for the 3rd day, today was the first time I speak to one of the residents. Its not easy to just say hi or talk on any topic as we have to bear in mind that they are troubled youth. Any topic that we talk about it can probably make them feel sad, been biased, making them feeling been unwanted, and all sorts of negative thoughts.

Its tiring to talk to them because I have to constantly remind myself what to talk and what not to talk but seriously, its meaningful.

I have also introduced some teambuilding games during their one month confinement. Hopefully it will be a fun one.

I am glad that I choose the right degree. Its really a meaningful job and focusing on youth is really my best ever choice made.

I love it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

March 2024

Emptied 2022, New 2023

Ending 2023 with no bangs (but I got fringe)